GameCows has a robust set of Editorial Guidelines, which all our writers are required to abide by.
They reflect our ethical values and the standards we uphold, and are written in accordance with the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics, and guidelines stipulated by The Trust Project.
As highlighted by the code, we aim to always:
- Seek the truth and report it
- Minimize harm
- Act independently, and
- Be accountable and transparent
Mission statement and coverage priorities
GameCows aims to be the world’s leading source of all things board gaming and tabletop gaming — you know, about the things you love.
We publish reviews, roundups, news, informational, and opinion pieces, but are always clear with our readers about which one they are reading. We focus on entertaining writing that is easy to read and well-sourced, and where possible aim always to use writers who know what they are covering inside and out.
Ethics: Seeking the truth
GameCows writers must always report in a manner that aims to seek the truth and report the facts, in a manner that is both accurate and fair.
Our writers must always go above and beyond to uncover the truth of every story. We always make sure to:
- Do what we can to verify the information before publication, and ensure our articles portray the information included in them in a way that is honest, accurate, and fair
- Avoid errors and inaccuracies wherever possible, and correct any that are brought to our attention as quickly as possible, under the processes set out below
- Know there are two sides to every story and strive to uncover all different perspectives and present them as fairly as possible
- Give people who are accused of wrongdoing the opportunity to comment on allegations made against them
- Use original sources, and always make sure to cite them
- Avoid plagiarism at all costs
- Update articles as stories develop with new information or update readers on the latest details with the publication of a new article
- Always obtain information in an honest and open way, unless the evidence needed for a story of huge public importance cannot be uncovered by traditional, straightforward means
- Uphold the principles of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and allow people the chance to present different views even if they are not the same views as those of the journalist
- Differentiate between news and opinion. GameCows provides clear labels on all its articles so that our readers can clearly differentiate between the two
- Avoid conflicts of interest wherever possible. If an important story cannot be written without a conflict existing, then this is disclosed clearly to the reader.
GameCows and its writers must at all times minimize harm to others, both through the way stories are researched and through what is contained within them.
We must always:
- Refrain from publishing or disseminating any articles or other content that could in any way lead to discrimination or hatred based on a person’s race, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or otherwise.
- Seek the permission of the responsible adult when interviewing or photographing a child
- Abide by the law, but above that always consider the ethical and moral arguments for the publication of a story before disseminating it to the public
- Avoid sensationalizing stories
Diversity Statement and staffing report
GameCows embraces diversity and different voices, both through the articles we choose to write and the people we hire.
Actionable feedback: How to engage with us
GameCows welcomes feedback from our readers and wants everyone to join the conversations we start.
We have comments on our posts where readers are encouraged to contribute their thoughts and opinions and have a forum where people can expand on that with their own conversations.
However, we also welcome feedback on a personal level if our readers have criticisms or ideas about our site or content, and we will always follow up with you about the action we are taking.
If you want to get in touch with a complaint or suggestion, please contact our editor Kendra Bruning by email at [email protected].
Corrections policy and practice
GameCows will always correct and disclose factual errors that are brought to our attention. We aim to correct all factual mistakes immediately, and will always respond to the person who alerted us to the error to let them know it has been fixed.
When we are alerted to incorrect information in one of our articles, we rewrite the relevant section of the text to reflect the correct information. However, so that readers can always see what has been changed, we will always disclose any corrections in a statement at the bottom of the updated article.
This statement reveals what the correct information is, what the incorrect information was that was originally published, and what time and date the correction was made.
If you would like to report a factual error, please email the editor Kendra Bruning by email at [email protected].