In the desolate swamplands, where mist clings to twisted trees and the air is heavy with an otherworldly stillness, an adventurer’s eyes are drawn to a peculiar sight. Amidst the fetid water, a rusted sword stands defiantly, its blade seemingly fused with the muck. Suddenly, a ripple disrupts the stagnant surface, and from the depths emerges the Bog Unicorn. With an eerie gurgle that echoes through the marsh, the undead warhorse strides forward, its spectral form a haunting testament to the dark rituals that brought it into existence.
Table of Contents
Bog Unicorn 5e Description
When venturing through the mist-covered marshes, adventurers may catch sight of a peculiar scene. A rusted sword, seemingly fused with the muck, stands defiantly amidst the fetid water. Suddenly, a ripple disrupts the stagnant surface, and the Bog Unicorn emerges from the depths. Its spectral form exudes an otherworldly aura, surrounded by an eerie glow that casts haunting shadows in the murky swamp.
This is a homebrew creature inspired by Dragon Age Inquisition’s DLC mount of the same name.
Bog Unicorn 5e Stats
- Size: Large
- AC: 14 (Natural Armor)
- HP: 75 (10d10 + 20)
- Speed: 60ft
- Skills: Perception +3
- Damage Resistances: Necrotic
- Damage Immunities: Poison
- Condition Immunities: Exhaustion, poisoned
- Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
- Languages: Can understand commands in any language it new before death.
- Challenge: 5 (1,800 XP)
- Undead Fortitude: If damage reduces the Bog Unicorn to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the Bog Unicorn drops to 1 hit point instead.
- Chilling Presence: Creatures within 10ft of the Bog Unicorn have Disadvantage on saving throws against Fear effects.
Bog Unicorn 5e Actions
- Multiattack: The Bog Unicorn makes two hoof attacks.
- Hoof: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
- Sword Horn: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.
- Unholy Charge (Recharge 5-6): The Bog Unicorn moves up to its speed in a straight line and then makes a sword horn attack. On a hit, the target must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute. The poisoned creature takes 21 (6d6) necrotic damage at the start of each of its turns. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.
Variant: Command Undead Mount
A creature that can command undead can use the bog unicorn as a mount. While mounted on the bog unicorn, the creature gains the following benefits:
- The creature’s speed is increased to match the bog unicorn’s speed of 60 ft.
- The creature has Advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.
- The creature can use its action to command the bog unicorn to make a melee attack.
However, the creature also suffers the following negative effects:
- The creature’s maximum hit points are reduced by 10.
- The creature has Disadvantage on Charisma checks and saving throws.
The Bog Unicorn is no ordinary undead creature. It is believed to be created through a dark and arcane ritual performed by a lich. The ritual involves binding the spirit of a fallen warhorse to its decaying body while driving a sword through its head. This unholy process bestows upon the creature heightened endurance and grants it the ability to exist beyond the boundaries of death.
While the Bog Unicorn may inspire dread in the hearts of most, those who possess the ability to command the undead can harness its power as a mount. With its speed comparable to that of a horse, the Bog Unicorn becomes a formidable steed that carries its master through the treacherous marshes and into the depths of darkness.
As an undead creature, the Bog Unicorn bears the weight of its cursed existence. The foul energies that sustain it come with side effects. Those who ride upon its back may find themselves drained of vitality, experiencing a chilling cold that seeps into their bones. The proximity to death and the dark forces that surround the Bog Unicorn can have a corrupting influence on the minds of those who interact with it for prolonged periods.
Bog Unicorn 5e Campaign Ideas
Adding a Bog Unicorn can be a fun way to spice up a campaign. If you have players with questionable morals you can have them come across an unbound Bog Unicorn which they can capture and bind. This would be a cool reward for higher-level players that want a unique mount to ride around with.
The Bog Unicorn is a tragic creature and doesn’t necessarily have to be evil. Instead of being ritualistically created, it could also be the result of wild magic. The trusty steed could have followed its Paladin master into battle and fused with their sword in death to continue fighting.
The Bog Unicorn makes for a fun encounter for low-level characters. While traversing a swamp, the characters could see what looks like a magical sword sticking out of a lake. As they get closer and disturb the waters, it begins to move and slowly the Bog Unicorn emerges. It could then attack or attempt to drag them down into the swamp waters like a kelpie
The above image was made with Homebrewery and the image artist can be found here.
Before starting GameCows with his wife Kendra, he used to teach English Language Arts in the US. He combined his love of gaming with education to create fun game-based learning lessons until he eventually decided to run GameCows with Kendra full-time. He’s known for pouring over rulebooks in his spare time, being the rule master during game night, and as the perma DM in his DnD group. Bryan loves board games, writing, traveling, and above all his wife and partner in crime, Kendra.