Board games are a fantastic way to educate and entertain kids. With each game, their minds are molded, advancing their memory, imaginative, cognitive, and social skills.
Studies have shown that children who play board games can improve overall development. The psychology theory, “learning through play” states that board games help kids mature emotionally and socially. These days, there’s an array of new fun, and exciting games. With many themes to choose from, your 7-year-old will be excited to play each and every time.
Let’s look at 10 of the best board games for 7-year-olds!
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY (BEST GAMES BY AGE GROUP): Toddler & Preschool | Kindergarten | 2-Year-Old | 3-Year-Old | 4-Year-Old | 5-Year-Old | 5-6-Year-Old | 7-Year-Old | 8-Year-Old | 9-Year-Old | 10-Year-Old | 11-12-Year-Old | Teens & Teenagers
🏆 Our Top Picks for Best Board Games for 7-Year-Olds
In a hurry? Take a quick peek before you go.
Inspired by the medieval castle in the south of France, Carcassonne has players filling the countryside by laying tiles. Players will score points by placing tiles and growing their medieval landscape. You’ll also be sending knights, monks, and farmers to claim more lands and features. Each role scores differently, so you’ll need to strategize effectively.
This is an easy-to-learn game that’ll also challenge your kids.
- STRATEGY GAME - PLAN YOUR WAY TO VICTORY: Develop the landscape...
- ONE STEP AT A TIME TILE-PLACEMENT GAME: Players fill in the...
- JACK OF ALL TRADES: Followers can take many different roles...
If you’ve already tried Carcassonne, check out our list of games like Carcassonne for a new challenge!
#2. Sky Magic
Share the magic and weather the storm!
There’s a mighty storm brewing. Sky Magic is a cooperative board game in which players will navigate the storm clouds and avoid the wind flips. Help five friends get home before they run out of magic skills.
You’ll draw a weather card that could change the wind or add a storm cloud to play the game. This will change your flight path and alter the game with each card. There are also a few spell cards that’ll help you hold off the storm.
Sky Magic helps kids learn about shared decision-making and evolving strategy skills. Play carefully and use your magic wisely!
- GAMES THAT TEACH: Work together to help five enchanted friends...
- SHIFTING BOARD: Draw a weather card and change the cloud path...
- PLAYING COOPERATIVELY: We believe children (and adults) thrive...
#3. Ticket to Ride: First Journey
Playing time: 30-60mins
This is the perfect game to introduce kids to the series. Offering unique rules more suited to kids, you’ll be building networks and claiming routes. By playing matching color cards, players can cross the board and complete tickets.
The board game is easy to learn and quick to play, so get your kids on board and embark on your very own North American railway adventure.
- STRATEGY GAME: First Journey offers unique rules designed for a...
- FUN ADVENTURE GAME: First Journey is the perfect way to introduce...
- HOW TO WIN THIS GAME: In First Journey, the game ends when one...
You may also enjoy:
- Best Ticket to Ride Board Games
- Ticket to Ride Review
- How to Play Ticket to Ride
- 5 Games Like Ticket to Ride
#4. Space Escape: Mole Rats in Space!
Playing time: 20mins
Escape if you can!
Space Escape: Mole Rats in Space starts with a band of snakes that have infiltrated the mole rats’ space station. Cooperate with players to help gather equipment and make it to escape pods before time runs out. Players will climb up ladders in this matching game and slide down airshafts.
- ESCAPE IF YOU CAN: A band of snakes has infiltrated the Mole...
- LEARNING AND GROWING: In this matching game kids learn...
- BENEFITS: Cooperative games cultivate emotional development,...
#5. Kraken Attack!
Playing time: 25mins
Kids must work together to defeat the giant Kraken. Pirates to your stations with pistols loaded!
Kraken Attack! has players use their unique abilities to push back tentacles before the ship sinks. In this tower-defense game, players are encouraged to defend their ship creatively. You’ll try to push back the closest tentacles using boarding sabers while using a canon for the furthest ones. You’ll need full cooperation and strategy to win this epic battle.s.
This board game will teach your 7-year-old strategy and the importance of working together.
- TABLETOP BOARD GAME Kraken Attack! is a cooperative game that is...
- HOW TO PLAY All together against the Kraken! Pirates to your...
- This Tower defense, easy-to-play game encourages creativity. It...
Players: 2- 4
Playing time: 30mins
The strategy game for the whole family!
So, put your minds to the test with this brain-busting strategy game. The rules are straightforward but allow for endless possibilities giving the game a lot of replayability. You’ll need to strategically block opponents while assuring you have the lowest number to win at the end of the game.
- Perfect strategy game for the whole family – less than a minute...
- Players take turns placing their 21 pieces on the board: each...
- Stake your claim and protect your territory by fitting as many of...
#7. Zombie Kidz Evolution
Playing time: 5- 15mins
Zombie Kidz Evolution is a cooperative game that takes you on special missions while the mystery unfolds. You’ll gain powers in time, but the zombies will also mutate and become more ferocious.
With a goal to eliminate all zombies, you’ll have to work together and create a strategy while the game progresses from the previous one. Children’s thinking skills will improve while they are challenged and having fun.
The more you play, the more the game transforms, so have even more fun with each game.
- For 2-4 Players. Ages 7 and up. 5-15 minute playing time
- Gather your friends together for this co-operative game
- The more you play, the more the game TRANSFORMS
Playing time: 20mins
A race for treasure in a moving maze.
Labyrinth is a wildly popular game for kids and adults alike. You’ll be aiming to reach all the treasure while it moves along the board. On your turn, you’ll move along the path, trying to collect treasure and block your opponents.
Decision-making skills are crucial as you’ll have to decide when to block revivals or open a new path. Using the boards’ tiles, as well as moving tiles, you’ll slide tiles to further your path.
Labyrinth is a fantastic puzzle-solving game that’ll improve your kid’s pattern-building and decision-making skills.
- What You Get – Labyrinth comes with 1 game board, 34 maze...
- Fun Play Experience – In Labyrinth, Ravensburger’s wildly...
- Easy to U nderstand I nstructi ons – High quality, easy to...
#9. Catan Junior
Playing time: 30mins
A Catan adventure for fledgling swashbucklers!
Catan Junior sets sail as you explore the seas. Letting younger players experience the wonderful world of Catan, this board game edition introduces simpler playing styles designed for players as young as six.
Taking place on a ring of tropical isles, with each island producing a specific resource, such as wood, molasses, cutlasses, and even goats, you’ll be building up resources. But beware, there’s also a mysterious island with a scary ghost captain. Starting with two pirate lairs, players expand their networks and find gold.
Catan Junior teaches players how to manage resources and strategize. If you’re a fan of Catan, introduce Catan Junior to family game nights.
- STRATEGY GAME FOR KIDS: CATAN Junior takes place on a ring of...
- FUN ADVENTURE GAME FOR KIDS: You start with 2 pirate lairs, and...
- PERFECT INTRODUCTION TO THE CATAN FAMILY BOARD GAME: Whether you...
#10. Throw Throw Burrito
Playing time: 15mins
Essentially, a game of dodgeball.
Throw Throw Burrito is a game of matching sets faster than your opponent. Oh yeah, and you’ll also be dodging a squishy burrito. From the creators of Exploding Kittens, your 7-year-old will be physically active while also exercising their mind.
How it works is the cards you collect earn you points. If you’re hit with the burrito, you lose points. This game is simple and fun for kids to play and a great party game!
P.S Make sure to put away any valuables.
We hope you enjoyed our picks for the best board games for 7-year-olds! Go ahead and try one of these board games, or why not all ten? You’ll be seeing the positive effects on your 7-year-old in no time.
Let us know which board game your kid’s favorite is! Drop a comment below, we’d love to hear from you.
Looking for educational games for a different age group? Check out our best games below: